THE ARK LODGE
The Ark is a 5-star hotel set in the heart of the Aderdare National Park and is modeled after the Biblical Noah’s Ark. It overlooks a floodlit waterhole and salt lick where animals frequent. The Ark has 4 viewing decks with balconies and lounges where visitors have a spectacular moment watching the wildlife and photographs can be taken from this point. In The Ark, animals come to you instead of you going to look for them. At the hotel, one can hear the sounds of the animals and smell the aroma of the night. It is the place to be every time you visit Aberdare National Park as the visitor enjoys in solitary state the beauty of it all.
At the hotel, there is a resident guide who ensures that you do not miss the sightings of special animals that come to the waterhole. He buzzes your room and all you have to do is grab the robe and slippers provided together with your camera and view the nightlife at the waterhole.
The Aberdare Country Club is a sister property that is a short distance away and it offers a perfect place to spend an afternoon.
Visitors to The Ark have the opportunity of observing different animals such as the elephants, leopards which are generally very shy often seen during the morning and evening drives, buffaloes, rhinos, hyenas which contend with the elephants to have a drink at the water hole, the Colobus and Vervet monkeys and the black rhino.
- Guided game walks
- Golf and tennis courts
- Horseback riding facilities
- Health and fitness club
- Swimming pool
- Well tended gardens for relaxation
- Wheel chair access
Accommodation at The Ark is in the form of cabins that are self contained with en suite shower and toilet. The rooms are on decks with each deck providing the convenience of watching the animals as they visit the water hole in front of the hotel.
The Ark has 6 single bedded rooms, 37 twin rooms with two single beds in each, 10 double rooms with one queen bed in each and 7 triple rooms with three single beds in each.
Triple rooms are the best choice for families.
While at The Ark, one can do the following:
- Visit the moorlands and get to see the magnificent waterfalls of rivers Magura, Karuru and Chania.
- Go on a safari drive or organize a nature walk and view the numerous birdlife found in the forest with over 250 species being recorded. One of the dominant species is Sunbird.
- A guided walk in the park gives knowledge of the local flora, fauna and wildlife.
- A safari drive to The Salient and The Moorlands
- A game drive to the Solio Sanctuary which is well known for their success of rearing the black and white rhino.
The Ark has no conference facilities but instead the facilities are offered by the sister hotel, The Aberdare Country Club.